Zucchini Latkes with Avocado and Yogurt | Cooking with Genee Habansky
Zucchini Latkes with Avocado and Yogurt
Zucchini season is in full bloom! They make an ideal latke base, although they don’t have as much starch as potatoes. This particular recipe allows for the zucchini’s delicate flavor to shine and is a great small bite to serve at your summer party.
1. 3 pounds zucchini
2. 1 large potato
3. 1 medium sized onion
4. 3 eggs
5. 3 tablespoon flour
6. Tsp garlic powder
7. 3 tablespoon chopped cilantro, divided
8. 1 tablespoon salt
9. 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
10. 2 ripe avocados
11. 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
12. Salt and pepper to taste
1. To make the sauce, blend avocados in a food processor with yogurt, 1 tablespoon cilantro, salt and pepper to taste, then set.
2. Cut zucchinis in half, scraping out the seeds.
3. Coarsely grate zucchinis in a food processor or box grater, then do the same with the potato and onion.
4. Transfer to a colander and let sit for 2 minutes, then squeeze dry. Let sit another two minutes, then squeeze dry again
5. Transfer to a large bowl. Add eggs, flour, garlic powder and remaining cilantro. Mix until combined.
6. Heat oil in sauté pan until shimmering. Working in batches, drop tablespoon of zucchini mixture and flatten with the back of the spoon. Cook the latkes over moderately high heat until the edges are golden. After 2 minutes flip and cook on the other side for about a minute.
7. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Add more oil if needed.
8. Arrange each latke with a dollop of avocado yogurt on a serving platter.